Monday 3 August 2015

Ode to a Cigarette (3 August 2015)

Speaking as an ex-smoker I would like to voice how much I miss cigarettes. I was a smoker from a very young age, it wasn’t peer pressure or anything like that, and it was more curiosity.


For years I complained that my mum smoked, way too many than anyone should a day, but as soon as she gave it up guess who started?  I remember it like it was yesterday, me and my three friends got a ten deck of regal king-size and off into the woods we went thinking we were great.  Of course when we first tried it the taste was horrible but there was something that kept you wanting more and it got nicer as it went on.

As the years went by it was just like a second nature to smoke.  Oh the joys of having a smoke on the drive to work, at break times, the drive home, after a meal and with a cheeky few drinks.  On a stressful day there was nothing like taking yourself out of the office and getting to relax with your best buddy Mr. Cigarette. 

Now don’t get me wrong, I gave it up for a reason, but the feeling of smoking was so good.  I’m going on 6 years now, with the occasional slip up of course.  I gave up because I had lost too many people to lung cancer and I thought it would be (apart from a few weeks of wanting to kill everyone) a good idea to quit while I was young.  It was easier than I thought but once I had a drink I just craved them.  I now still crave them but I won’t have one because now the taste would drive me round the bend.  I think I will probably crack someday and just go and smoke my brains out.

The one terrible drawback of quitting was replacing your lovely cigarette with snacks!  You don’t even notice that you are doing it.  I put on almost 3 stone, don’t ask me how I didn’t even notice because I don’t know, thankfully I lost the most of it but smoking definitely keeps you skinny.


I used to joke years ago about when I wouldn’t quit.  I used to say ‘no one likes a quitter’. 

No comments:

Post a Comment